[ENet-discuss] Prioritisation

Lee Salzman lsalzman at telerama.com
Wed Feb 4 22:15:47 PST 2004

Well, there is some synergy between reliable and unreliable packets. I
use reliable packets to measure the RTT (and its variance) of the connection,
and send out pings regularly to make sure this information is always
being collected periodically. Abnormal RTTs (either too high or too low)
cause the throttle to move down or up, as appropriate. And the throttle
basically just tells how many packets to drop. I try to send the
unreliable packets out ASAP or drop them, so I basically trade latency
for packet loss. Given what ENet was written for, the latency was the
way more critical issue.

Now, the reliable packets just use a window, which is probably far from
ideal. But on the other hand, it "magically" works with the unreliable
throttling as lots of reliable traffic will cause the RTTs to go up and
the throttle will start dropping more unreliable packets in response.

Now, in an ideal world, ENet would probably not work by "magic" and
would use some sort of uniform rate based approach, although I am not so
sure it would help the unreliable packet situation and would require
either require more info about connection bandwidth or just some new
"voodoo" to automatically determine some ideal rate to send data out at.
In any case a possible start would be to have some good metric of how much
data in total is being sent out over a given time period, and have the
throttle attack that, rather than merely unreliable packets. And I don't
know if I would even want to change how unreliable packets are handled,
so much as making something more flexible than the window scheme for
reliable data. Then you start getting into the land of Quality of
Service --- UGH! A choice between magic or voodoo, hmm? :)

Lee