[ENet-discuss] UDP proxy question

Brad Monahan xbradx_00 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 22 09:17:53 PDT 2003

Hi. I'm trying to create a UDP Proxy program but I'm having troubles
understanding some things about UDP. I know this mailing list is for enet,
but I figured someone here has to be able to help me with this, and it's the
only place I could think of to turn for help (after searching for hours and
hours) since enet uses UDP. Here's the situation. There is a game server
that sends out client updates to all it's clients on a constant port of
4949. I have no access to the server, and am not able to alter anything with
it. The client creates the UDP socket for the updates and binds the socket
to it's local address on port 0 (allowing a free port to be chosen) and
recieves the updates from the server. I also have no access to the client
code, and am not able to alter anything with it. What I'm trying todo is
create a simple proxy server the client and server will send packets through
so the proxy can record data coming from the server in an attempt to make a
program to playback the recorded game later. Right now for the proxy I have
one socket setup for UDP that binds to it's local address on port 4949 and
recieves the packets from the server and attempts to send them to the client
(which is on the same computer/address). This is where the problem comes in.
I don't know which port the client has binded to because the application
picks it and it's new every time it starts, so I can't "forward" the packet
to the client from the proxy because I don't know the client's port. I don't
understand how the game server knows this port either. I know this is
definently possible, I just don't have alot of experience with datagram
sockets. If anyone that understands what I'm trying todo please shed some
light on the answer! :)

  -Brad